Monday, November 17, 2008

...On the phone with Carol

I'm on the phone with Carol. I felt that I needed to dedicate at least one post to my girlfriend of over a year. For those of you who don't know us, we are kind of weird when we are together. Well we are weird when we are apart too, but it's like when you multiply 10 and 10 together. You get 100. That's a lotta weirdness. And even 100 weirdness points split between two people is 50, so yea.
Anyway, we were talking about blogs and how people start blogs through word of mouth. I mean, you never see a commercial on TV for blogspot.com, or at least I've never seen one. And I said, that's usually how most fads/trends/online crap are started.
Take facebook for example. I learned about it from my friend in Kansas back in middle school, but it didn't catch on here until sophomore or junior year. I guess that doesn't really prove my point. uhhhhhhhh...
Well, in order for a trend to start, the target needs to be convenient (internet is the ultimate convenience, refer to season 12 episode 6 southpark: Over Logging) and people need to be willing to dedicate time to it. People spend HOURS a day on it just so they can talk to people they had already spent the entire school day with. How come people, not just some people but all people, have so much time on their hands and still complain about how much school work they have or their bad grades? I can understand getting info about upcoming parties, homework, or some chit-chat for a few minutes or even an hour or so. But the majority spend way more time each day. Maybe not all at once, but the cumulative hours at random intervals throughout the day add up. I mean there is no final objective or satisfying relief of achieving a goal when on facebook.
It's nothing like a computer game where you strive to be the best or achieve a certain level. This leads me to a specific application called Friends for Sale. I have to admit that I am a victim of this monstrosity but only because I wanted to buy my Carol who raised her price to about 2 million in one night (WTF!), so I had to buy her. Oh crap lol. This blog was supposed to be about her. oh well... the next one will be.
Friends for Sale is ridiculous. People buy other people for fake money and acrew sums of pixels by selling themselves to the same person over and over again. Basically whichever old, hairy from the neck down man can find the most attactive picture of whoever and post it as a profile picture will be bought over and over by some other old, toupéed man with a profile picture of some young man or woman. Ok. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit but I bet this situation is pretty prevalent.
I should probably be writing my UC essay instead of this but this just requires much less thought. And theres less pressure. And judgement. And only Matt and Brian read it.

Good night

8 comments:

Matthew Hong said...

good read joey, I definitely enjoyed that one :D

Anonymous said...

i read it too!
but i just dont have a blogspot

Joey Luo said...

who is brian?

x_stacy said...

I read it too!

You and Carol are cute.

And we really should make small talk in TA.

We don't have much time left after all.

(:

Matthew Hong said...

woah joey, did u just say hella? haha
yea the food is amazing in china, but sometimes i get hella diarreah. Yea, just got back from mammoth, it was fun. I hope you have a great time in china, see u soon!!

lillian chiou said...

hey it's lillian :D

and i'm reading this (dergh).

and well everything > UC essays. pretty understandable :D

Anonymous said...

joey, i think when you two are apart, you're the only one who's weird. carol's pretty normal. oh and btw, now i have a second pencil mark on my palm. thanks a lot.

Matthew Hong said...

hey joey, why dont you revive your blog?
its only what the cool people do